KatieMc

KatieMc

My corner in BookLikes

Risk Return (Return on Investment Book 2)
Aleksandr Voinov
License
Paul Markun
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen
The Little Book of Mindfulness: 10 minutes a day to less stress, more peace
Patrizia Collard

Take the Long Way Home

Take the Long Way Home - J.A. Rock I loved this. I am a bit tongue tied right now, but I hope to prepare some coherent thoughts explaining why I am so smitten by this book. For now, all I have to say is meat kisses!

***further thoughts after I have come down from my post read high***
I want to make an analogy that may not work, but here goes. Take the Long Way Home is the not quite so fucked up literary little brother of [b:A Little Life|22822858|A Little Life|Hanya Yanagihara|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1412530242s/22822858.jpg|42375710]. And I mean it in the best possible way. The obvious, both books feature cutters who have endured abuse and abandonment and who find solace in destructive behavior.

Dresden is damaged and he doesn't have the whole bag of emotional tools to cope. He is aware of this, but that is not enough. There are no easy fixes, and doing the right thing doesn't come naturally. As a result, we witness many situations that are at best awkward and many that are downright cringe-worthy.

In spite of all this, there are rays of sunshine that beam through. We get to see Dresden and Caleb fall in love. And when you are young and in love, things can be momentarily brilliant, even if you have squat going for you. I don't think I have read a romance (mm or otherwise) that has captured that magic quite like JA Rock has in this book.