KatieMc

KatieMc

My corner in BookLikes

Risk Return (Return on Investment Book 2)
Aleksandr Voinov
License
Paul Markun
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen
The Little Book of Mindfulness: 10 minutes a day to less stress, more peace
Patrizia Collard

a historical account of a serious crime

Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows - Will Bagley
This was a long and detailed account of the Mountain Meadow Massacre, were over 100 pioneering men, woman and children were brutally murdered.  Included was a mini history of the LDS religion and the circumstances that lead them to Utah in the 19th century.
I learned many interesting things, such as the fact that Utah was originally established essentially as a theocracy, how decidedly unamerican!
(show spoiler)

The MMM happened over 150 years ago in a remote part of the U.S. territory.  You can wiki it for details https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_massacre  It was prefaced by events that pitted the  LDS settlers against pretty much everyone else and created a hostile climate for outsiders.   Blame for the massacre was initially placed on the Native Americans (aka Indians), but as always happens, truth has a way of bubbling up enough to cast doubt on official accounts.   There is no doubt that 'saints' were involved and little doubt that they instigated the the event.  The question becomes how high up does the buck stop?   Hint - there once was a break-in at the Watergate Hotel.

The author does does a very thorough job researching and analyzing the events.  Much of his work and analysis piggybacks on the work of Juanita Brooks, an LDS feminist who wrote the The Mountain Meadows Massacre.  (Note to self - look for a Juanita Brooks biography.)   I felt that he did a solid job and objective, however I have seen him described as anti-church in reviews. I don't have a dog in that fight, and I felt he was objective with the material he had to work with.

audiobook comments (I received a free copy from an AudiobookBlast promo in exchange for an honest review)   I would imagine that producing an audiobook for such a niche subject might be financially risky, and the temptation to cut corners might be great.  If that was the case here, it is not evident to the listener.  Sound quality was very good and narration was well done, very professional.    I would suggest to anyone interested in taking this on, unless you are well versed in LDS historical figures of the time, grab a cheat sheet LDS characters from the wiki page. There are many many characters, some more important than others, and on audio that can sometimes be a challenge to track.